This position is responsible for driving and coaching implementation of Hillrom’s Global Operating Management System (OMS), Continuous Improvement (CI) efforts and cost reduction projects through the VIP program for the Skaneateles site. As such, this position requires an experienced Lean transformation leader with a broad cross-functional background and experience in mid-volume vertically-integrated manufacturing, as well as demonstrated success in driving improvements across transactional business processes. The successful candidate will have a results-oriented leadership style with strong influencing skills and the ability to make an immediate and lasting organizational impact. Such individual must be both a credible teacher to diverse levels of people (from shop floor to Executive leadership) and capable of developing and executing lean strategies that yield measurable business results. This is a critical leadership position reporting directly to the Executive Director of Operations and has additional ties to the Global Operations and CI leads to ensure successful implementation.
• Implement and deploy a Lean CI strategy that ties to Hillrom’s Global OMS. Oversee, manage and facilitate the Company’s Lean initiative and CI strategy across the site. Take a strategic view of the organization, and facilitate the creation of a CI culture and use Lean Six Sigma methodologies to drive core/strategic processes to respond to the needs of customers with minimal waste.
• Lead Hillrom’s cost reduction (VIP) program for the site focusing on labor, overhead, indirect material and logistics spend.
• Focus on business performance that constantly strives to eliminate waste, improve customer satisfaction, and increase market share via the use of Lean tools and continuous improvement methodologies.
• Facilitate and drive change in a fast paced and “ever changing” environment leveraging his/her strong interpersonal skills. Act as a key driver of change within the business, supporting management/cross functional decisions by communicating the enterprise-wide changes to employees (and other stake holders such as suppliers) and helping them to learn, understand, adjust and grow with the business’s Lean transformation.
• Conduct regular reviews of the site’s lean performance with leadership teams across the organization, providing expectations, performance planning, feedback, training, development and performance discussions with leadership teams across the organization; defining future state requirements for operations and ensures the implementation of Lean strategies and initiatives to effectively meet or exceed business and customer expectations.
• Develop appropriate dashboards & influence cross functional team members to meet aggressive strategic deployment and business targets.
• Drive effective on-going communications throughout the organization on the implementation of lean thinking to help drive culture change and advance lean competencies; provide clear and regular communication regarding the Company’s goals and objectives of the lean thinking and to provide a system for measurement of results of lean activities on an ongoing basis.
• Develop infrastructure tools and supporting materials, including training to support the Company’s lean initiatives. Conduct workshops and other training programs that foster the cross functional deployment of Lean Methodology.
• Train, mentor, and develop personnel to foster a strong culture of continuous improvement.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Will not have direct supervisory responsibilities, however, will drive projects and requests to completion through other people without having direct supervisory responsibility.
A minimum of 5 years of progressive leadership experience implementing continuous improvement projects, driving change and leading strategic initiatives with factories, suppliers, Lean, processes, and/or manufacturing equipment.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
Demonstrated ability to implement change at all levels of an organization and will also have a demonstrated ability to drive projects to completion through other people without having direct supervisory responsibility. Strong change management and influence skills are a must; ability to negotiate and communicate at different levels of an organization.
Experience in core project management practices (project estimating, planning/scheduling and risk management)
Strong familiarity with FDA 21 CFR820 Quality System Regulation, ISO 13485 and 9001, and other Medical Device standards. Working knowledge of quality management systems and their interactions, especially those sections pertaining to Product and Process Controls.
Problem-solving and negotiation capabilities along with a process-focused perspective are essential. The successful candidate will require significant influence skills to drive progress beyond his or her departmental authority.
Must possess excellent communication leadership and team building skills and have experience with multifunctional teams. They will have a strong customer orientation and strategic focus
Must demonstrate a proven ability to distill complex strategy into simple actions, make decisions effectively, create focus and deliver results in a global environment.
Must perceive change as an opportunity.
Ability to work with ambiguity, little supervision and be a self-starter.
Willingness to travel about 10% of time.
Education and experience in Lean, Kaizen events, Continuous Improvement, and the Toyota Production System.
Inventory, warehousing, and distribution experience.
Ability to energize, coach, and develop others, including non-direct reports.
Hillrom is a $2.8B leading worldwide manufacturer and provider of medical technologies and related services for the health care industry, including patient support systems, safe mobility and handling solutions, non-invasive therapeutic products for a variety of acute and chronic medical conditions, medical equipment rentals, surgical products and information technology solutions. Hillrom’s comprehensive product and service offerings are used by health care providers across the health care continuum and around the world in hospitals, extended care facilities and home care settings to enhance the safety and quality of patient care. Hillrom is an equal employment employer F/M/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Tagged as: continuous improvement